Skip to main content

What Printmaking Means to Me!

Printmaking blessed me at age 21 in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, after transitioning from Rhode Island back to Pennsylvania to start Art school.   I knew if I started I would never have to retire and I was committed to learn and keep learning.  I worked corporate America jobs to realize it wasn't for me so without portfolio in hand, I visited James Carroll at New Arts to get some advice.  

Printmaking even more so, Printmakers spoke to me on a soul level and directly like Printmaking, I began my artistic journey.   I started training in Art after being raised in one family setting of Pennsylvania Folk Artists, I thought to try and teach myself Lithography from a book, onto an Aluminum Plate, and it fascinated me the longevity behind Printmaking, it was Science and Art and my life was in front of me and I had time to learn my craft well.   I was naive when I earned a year scholarship to study Printmaking in Kingston, England, and this changed my course of life forever.  Printmaking Artist Sculptress of 34 years now, I've masterminded a way of life as an Experimental Printmaker who thinks bi-lateral, spherical and in reverse most times, this language led me to work alongside some supportive like-minds in Art.  My early arrival into this world of Ink, Paper, Tools, Presses and Masterful Mentor drew me in like a moth to a flame. My Art Journey is a Creative Process that was adapted to living a life as an Artist and I'm blessed that I met so many late and great Master Printmakers and masterful Artist friends, worldwide who brought me to where I am today as an Experimental Printmaker.   

To list a few, great renown European, British and American Printmakers; it is my great privilege to say I worked alongside them:  Robert Blackburn, Bartolomeu cid dos Santos, Stanley Jones, Hartmut Berlinicke (photo), Bill Ritchie and Dan Welden.  I have had conversations and inspirational guidance in my Art Journey by Ron Kitaj, Norman Ackroyd, Eduardo Paolozzi, Kenneth Tyler, Warrington Colescott, Evan Summer, James Carroll and Doug Zucco.  The Slade School of Art Professors and University was my haven for Believing in Art and Science and thanks to them, I'm a lifetime member to the British Museum Print Room in London where I first discovered the Monotype Prints by Harry Bertoia.  

I trained with Experimental Printmakers in London and lived there from 1990 - 1997 and loved it!  I developed an eye and palette and made friends who were passionate about Printmaking. My dear print friend and the best aquatint professor was Bartolomeu cid dos Santos who offered me an insight into his world when he accepted me on his Master of Arts at Slade School of Art.  That special relationship and mentorship lasted 17 years ending with his Tavira Print Workshop in Portugal where I worked alongside him for 6 years.  I built my style working alongside Barto and his support aspired me to keep going!

I tried Lithography with Stanley Jones and Silkscreen onto Canvas,Wood and Perspex under his supervision.  I tried my hand in Zinc plate Etching onto Photographic Lithography then Gum Bichromate printing Non-Silver Methods onto Perspex and Wood.  I made enlarged images and played around with scale onto many sculptural like surfaces.   The full circle brought me back to working onto Metal and Bertoia Studio and the making of Intaglio Sculpture using Bronze Sounding Gongs &  Copperplates.  Solarplate Etching using safe methods for Etching was introduced to me after my Grandfather made introductions to Doug Zucco and Dan Welden in Pennsylvania.  

Weaving Experimental Printmaking and Sculpture together for over 36 years now, the turning point in my career was working as the only independent Artist in Bertoia Studio for 25 years and the most inspirational to me was bringing life into this world as a Mother at 47, to my now 5th Generation daughter.  

Experimental Printmaking is very similar to cooking, it's the Creative Process and act of doing where the medium serves you instead of you serving it.  Self-Discovery and mystery along with curiosity can open doors where perhaps other doors may have closed.  Printmaking means it's a privilege to make art on paper or metal and become extended family to that physical reality.  From desires to dreams to travels to fantasy, I make marks to see like an Eagle, to heal with creativity and to marry the Science and the Art.  Science doesnt necessarily come first, Art does and that's a choice for me, that's experimental reasoning behind what happens.  My best discovery in etching has been with those works which I cannot see, the Art on Paper, then speak a language about self-reflection, it should nurture a wounded soldier similar to me yet different.  Printmaking is Community, it's about the people and those workshops are about ideas and nurturing those folks looking for more magic in life.  The Art of Printmaking, can reach those who want visual, physical, graphical and emotional demographics and it can answer social and political questions.

As Experimental Printmaker with a Folk and Fantasy style, I serve those who want more emotion in Art.  I'm grateful to belong to Printmaking, it makes a lasting impression that draws on a legacy of those who stamped an approval before you and while my working heart speaks to my working mind, I create so that my world can see you.  I am through Printmaking Art and that's enough.   I love serving you a Mystery in Art with Printmaking.  


Galerie Wildeshausen Germany 2000, 2005, 2009, 2016

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Paper to Metal

       MELISSA STRAWSER Art on Paper with Bronze & Copper Intaglio Sculpture/Chine Colle' Aquatint    Intaglio Sculpture Aquatint & Chine Colle' 'Energies' 'Light' Bronze Sculpture Appreciators and viewers often ask the Artist questions like What inspires you? or How long does it take to make a work?  I believe, the age of the artist is the amount of time it takes.  I'm always conceiving the idea, reality takes time; so it is unusual for me to say it takes me an hour or month or 10 years!  The visuals I aspire to collage and vice -versa fabricate into Sculpture find their way into my mind from my environment, to my travels, even from segments of conversations, text and family influences. I surround myself with great people always great art thinkers.  Many cultures see the growing spiral of life, the tree of life as we call it and sensory and healing aspects are constantly being experienced through your touch, smell, sound,

Print Workshops by MelissaStrawser coming soon

Solarplate  Workshops Chine Colle' COMING SOON to JuxtaHub in Emmaus, PA Print Workshops Coming Soon 2024 More Info   About Melissa      WHITE CROW PAPER Doug Zucco in Fleetwood, PA White Crow Paper Studio by Doug Zucco and  Solarplates by  Dan Welden ,  thankful that my Grandfather introduced me to these two great friends! Dan Weldon's family ancestry discovered that on his Grandmother's side: they are, in-fact, direct descendants to the original founder of Ephrata Cloisters, Johann Conrad Beissel, who was born in 1649 and was a German pietist mystic who lost both his parents to war before establishing the Ephrata Cloisters in 1732.  It is here, that the first Printing Press, was housed in America.  It ran the first English edition of the book, 'Martyr's Mirror', in Lancaster County under Dan Welden's relative,  Conrad Beissel.   Dan's last workshop in Pennsylvania, we held at the Ephrata Cloisters, check out his workshops on his Solarpla